Fall is my favorite time of the year, especially since I don´t get to experience much of it in Miami and the Bahamas, where I live most of the time. I love to see the leaves change colors, feel the temperatures drop, and to cuddle up with a warm blanket next to a romantic fireplace.
So…to get inspired for my fall home-styling and décor tips this year, I spent some time in Italy at a beautiful farm house in a town called Orvieto, not too far from Tuscany. The Italian countryside is truly magical and has a long history of beautiful interior design and timeless décor and accessories we can easily implement in just about any home. I hope with these tips, I can help you create a mood that will take you on a virtual Italian getaway!
- Table décor is an easy way to set a FALL mood in your home. Fill a ceramic vase or antique water pitcher with a bouquet of dry herbs from your garden. Rosemary, oregano or mint are great options. Not only will it look beautiful, but it will give an aroma of natural outdoor freshness in your home. Not a fan of herbs?… make a bouquet of wildflowers (fresh or dry) instead, giving a rustic-chic finish to your dining table. Be even more creative by mixing and matching!
- Make your living room cocktail table your FALL décor centerpiece. Set out a tray with things that remind you of autumn. I love a scented candle with fragrances in wood, sage or fresh pine to set the mood. Check out these great options from Elle Décor . For me pine cones are a must to give an outdoorsy feeling indoors. You can fill a glass bowl with them and place your scented candle in the center. In Italy, I fell in love with ceramic roosters and decorative ceramic pottery, but you can include a ceramic object of your own personal liking. Be creative and stay away from pumpkins – been there…done that.
- Incorporate FALL colors in your décor. Now is a good time to use red, orange, brown and yellow in deep hues when it comes to accessories and accent pieces. You can change out your decorative pillows for ones with fall colors or motifs, or simply add textiles like a throw blanket from natural fabrics such as wool or cashmere to create a cozy feeling.
- If you have a fireplace, make it the center stage of your home. If the weather has not cooled off enough to light a fire, place three lanterns of different sizes inside with real candles. An old basin makes a great container for storing wood. Place it next to the fireplace for a rustic look. Don´t forget the mantel! You have another place to showcase your fall-inspired décor. Use nature as decorative objects. Just imagine a bouquet of oak branches with color-changing leaves.
- This is a great time to update your photos and photo frames. Take some outdoor photos with your friends or indoors next to the the fireplace with your family. Place them inside of new frames in all different shapes and sizes. Remember to use fall colors. Burgundy red and mustard yellow are my personal favorites.
I love hearing form you, so please leave a comment below and let me know what you think. For more Italian decor inspirations check out my Pinterest Board. I look forward to hearing from you!